Video 2 Photo allows you to export one or more high quality photos from your videos in a quick, fun and original way.
Why would you do that?
- Sometimes you hesitate between taking a photo or a video. Take a video! thanks to Video 2 Photo you can now extract from your video as many images as you like!
- You have inadvertently recorded a video when you wanted to take a picture. With Video 2 Photo you can finally recover photos from this video.
- Taking The good picture of an object, animal or person that moves is almost impossible. With Video 2 Photo this becomes feasible.
- Taking a picture of yourself is always difficult. With Video 2 Photo you can choose exactly the right image that suits you best.
- Choose a representative picture of your best videos and put it as wallpaper or print it in order to have it always with you.
- Have fun watching your favorite movies frame by frame and find the little detail that you had never seen before.
Events and Albums are recognized.
You can also connect your iDevice to iTunes in order to drag and drop other videos (iTunes file sharing feature).
The camera can be used directly to record a video in order to extract the images quickly thereafter.
An animated and original interface allows you to precisely select a picture from all the ones contained in the video.
It is also possible to view the video (possibly in full screen) and to directly target a specific time.
Once the image is selected, you will be able to view it (possibly in full screen), to eventually crop it (keeping the most interesting part of it) and to export it (to PNG or JPEG files) in different ways:
- archive it in the camera roll of your iDevice
- send it by email
- retrieve it via iTunes file sharing
- copy it (and thus paste it into other applications)
- print it
- open it directly in another application supporting image import
- and even send it as a tweet or to Facebook!
Their resolution being the exact same one than the videos they are extracted from (a 1920 x 1080 video will produce 1920 x 1080 images)
If needed, some power user settings, located in the settings application, allows to change some parameters like the output file format (png/jpeg), the associated meta-data, and some behaviors of the application.
This application, can run on your iPhone and your iPad.
Portrait and Landscape orientations are supported in all screens.
- Q : Can you explain how to use the application?
Here are the basic steps :
In this screen, You can swipe left/right to switch from the camera
roll of your device, the Albums, the Events, and iTunes File Sharing
(videos that you can add in the Video 2 Photo folder using iTunes).
Swipe up/down to view more videos (You can also directly record a video, for a quick use, using the top right button).
Touch the video you want to extract pictures from.
You can export the image from here, selecting the desired button.
Generally, you will want to export it to the camera roll (where all your videos and images are stored in the device).
Touch (or pinch) the image to view it in full screen.
Before exporting you can press the top right icon to crop the image.
Tip: More infos on iTunes File Sharing
To crop the image, drag the red bars to the desired size and press Done.
Tip: Press the Constrain button to set a ratio constraint or to cancel your current crop.
You can rotate your device, if you want.
- In this screen, You can swipe left/right to switch from the camera roll of your device, the Albums, the Events, and iTunes File Sharing (videos that you can add in the Video 2 Photo folder using iTunes).
- Q : Are there some settings in the application.
I'd like, for instance, to change the exported images from .png to .jpeg files.
- Q : I'm on iOS8.0, and the application does not display most of my videos. Why ?
iOS 8.0 apparently replaced, for the users who enabled iCloud Photo Library, the previous Camera roll by a Recently added smart album.
This issue affects all the developer applications.
This Recently added smart folder seems to contain the videos (and photos) from the last 30 days only.
This is why the first section of the video selection screen might not contain some of your videos, unless they were recorded during the last 30 days.
You still have the possibility to create your own albums (with older videos) in the photo application.
The videos located in those user created albums will be visible in the Albums section of Video 2 Photo.
- Q : The videos in my Camera Roll are not accessible. How to solve that problem?
- Q : The videos imported from my computer are not visible. How to solve that problem?
The videos you have imported are most probably located in the Video app of your device (and taken from the Movies folder in iTunes).
Unfortunately, Video 2 Photo (and every other app from the Appstore) cannot access those videos in the Video application yet.
The only videos accessible are the ones in the Photo application (the Camera Roll, organized by Events or by Albums)
They are the ones recorded with your camera, but you can also import videos to this Camera Roll from your computer using iTunes, the same way you would import your photos.
Video 2 Photo, also supports the iTunes Files Sharing feature, so you can manually add some external videos to Video 2 Photo quite easily.
Here is how to copy your videos to the Video 2 Photo folder in iTunes : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4094
The suggested file format of the videos is Apple QuickTime .mov. Other file formats like .mp4 or .avi files are also supported but might raise some compatibilities issues.
- Q : How can I delete videos that have been loaded?
When you load a video, you load it from the the Camera Roll (unless you are using the iTunes File Sharing feature, or you are recording it directly).
Deleting such a video is not specific to Video 2 Photo.
To delete a video from your Camera Roll (and thus from your device, be careful), i suggest you follow this procedure (from here) :
Touch the Photos button on the home menu, and select Camera Roll.
Once you are viewing the photo/video thumbnails in the Camera Roll, touch the small arrow at the bottom left of the iPhone screen.
You can now select the photos/videos you wish to delete by touching them.
A red check mark will appear on the selected photos.
Touch the "Delete" button at the bottom of the screen.
- Q : What video formats can be read?
The video decoder used in the app is the one provided by Apple.
It is able to support all the video formats that are handled by the device itself.
It might depend on the model and iOS version you are using.
For instance, on iPhone5S (with iOS7) here are the supported formats :
- H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
- Change : iOS8 adaptation.
- New : iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus support.
- New : Possibility to hide an export destination (in the Video 2 Photo section of the Settings application).
- New : Nicer crop constrain selection screen that also gives the possibility to define a precise ratio.
- New : Tencent Weibo export support.
- Change : Flat icon, status bar integration, new image background that reacts to user motion.
- Change : Improved Open-in export destination that gives more choices to the user (some of them may however be redundant with the other export destination).
- Fix : Avoid a crash of the application, under low memory conditions, when the movie reel is scrolled.
- New : It is now possible to add a constraint (e.g 4/3, 16/9, square, device portrait) when cropping the image to be exported.
- New : An icon is added to every export button for a quicker identification.
- Change : Remove device status bar in full screen image preview.
- Change : Keep the scroll position of the list in the export screen across different image exports. This allows quicker multiple image exports.
- Change : Reorder the different export buttons in the list.
- New : Expert option (off by default) in the Video 2 Photo section of the Settings application to add the creation date of the original video in the meta-data of the exported JPEG images.
- New : Expert option (on by default) in the Video 2 Photo section of the Settings application to add the GPS information of the original video in the meta-data of the exported JPEG images.
- New : video2photo:// URL scheme support to launch Video 2 Photo from another application.
- New : The preview image in the export screen can now be visualized in real size (pinch, long press and press gestures handled).
- New : Improved bottom movie scrubber. The scrubbing speed is variable (like in the iPod app), allowing a more precise control when your finger is moving away the bar.
- New : Improved quality of the images, when exported to the Camera Roll (the new default type being PNG).
- New : New "Video 2 Photo" section in the device settings application, allowing to customize the application, if needed.
- New : In case of an input video selection change, It is now possible to save the current video (if it was directly recorded using the camera), avoiding any unwanted data loss. (this option can be customized in the settings application).
- New : It is possible to define the file type (JPEG or PNG) used for export in the settings application. A pop up can also be displayed every time, if you need frequent changes.
- New : iPhone5 screen support.
- New : The original GPS location is associated to the photos exported to the Camera Roll.
- New : iOS6 feature - export to FaceBook.
- New : iOS6 feature - export to Sina Weibo.
- New : "Open In" export feature allowing to send a photo directly to another application (handling photo import).
- New : Video import Handling to allow other applications to directly send videos to Video 2 Photo.
- Change : The video preloading can be cancelled, pressing the back button.
- Change : Allows music player to continue playing after the application launch.
- Fix : Remove temporary file (from a temporary recorded video) when the video is not used anymore (another video is selected).
- Fix : Small bug fixes and improvements.
- New : It is now possible to crop the picture before exporting it.
- New : Small user interface changes
- New : Retina display on the new iPad
- New : German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese (simplified) and Japanese translations
- Change : Improved user messages in case access to the medias is denied (globally or specifically).
- Change : Improved appearance for navigation bars.
Video 2 Photo can be purchased on the App Store
For more information or support, please contact
To get some fresh news regarding our work : here is our twitter PacoLabs